ChennaiSpot

Living London, Loving Chennai

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Bangalore Tamil Veg restaurants (WIP)

I had first come to Bangalore in 1991 and shifted here semi-permanently in 1997. For a city with one-third population of Tamils, it was very difficult to find Tamil style eating places. While the Sagars and Darshinis offered the same Idly/Dosa, Rice, Sambar etc, it was not the same as we get in TN and the pongal they gave was a horrible specimen of the type. Not just me, many of my friends had the same problem. It took a while for me to realise the small eateries in Shivajinagar that provided Tamil food. The situation has changed for the better now and I could see lot more places in Bangalore. Chettinad cuisine also has become very popular, although non-veg, I still have the option of going there for spicy Kara-Kuzhambu.

With this list, I will try to provide a comprehensive listing (not recommendations) of the Tamil style Veg-restaurants that I come across in Bangalore. This is a WIP, and I will update this as and when I come across a new one or if referred by any readers. I will try to provide a separate listing for Non-veg too.

Restaurant Listing (version 1.0)

MG Road Area

  1. Hotel Brindavan - MG Road near PU building, not exactly Tamil but the first haunt of many of us
  2. Sappaad Raman - Residency Road, just b4 brigade road junction
  3. Greenlands - Infantry Road, near Shivaji Nagar bus stand

Indira Nagar / Cambridge Layout / Domlur
  1. Suswad - Road next to Laxminagar graveyard bus stop
  2. Idly Bazaar - CMH Road, Double Road junction next to MK Retail store
  3. Cafe @ SoSweet - CMH Road, Opposite to CMH hospital
  4. Annapoorna - Cambridge Road, near Saibaba temple turning
Koramangala
  1. Shri Krishna Cafe - Koramangala - Off the ring road, near Tamarind Hotel

6 Comments:

Blogger Kaps said...

I have been to Krishna Cafe (Koramangala) few years ago...it is quite a nice place.

9:13 AM  
Blogger SLN said...

Hi Kaps

Thanks for the comments. I had only recently chanced upon this place. It was quite good. If you know any other Tamil restaurants, let me know.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

I have heard about a Chettinad restaurant called Annachi....haven't been to that place.

Other than this have been to 2/3 restaurants near the movie hall in Malleswaram. Their dosas are yummy and the sambhars are Tam style....not the sweet tasting red colour:-)

Thanks for the blogroll

1:57 PM  
Blogger SLN said...

Hi

Annachi is opposite to my house but Non-Veg. Thanks for reminding the place in Malleshwaram. I also used to frequent one Om-Sakthi mess near Natraj theater.

I visit your blog regularly but was a little lazy to edit my blogroll until today.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Has any one tried PONGAL IN jeevan beema nagar road near BSNL? IT IS REALLY TAMILIAN AND SAFE TO OUR PURSE TOO!
DSR

9:20 AM  
Blogger SLN said...

Hi DSR

I did eat there once but that was after this post. I am planning to update the list sometime in future. Will add it then.

thanks for your visit and comments in my blog

Cheers
SLN

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home